Andrés Segovia was born on February 21, 1893. To mark his 130th birthday, we spoke with three contemporary guitarists who each studied with the Maestro: Lily Afshar, Liona Boyd, and Michael Chapdelaine. Each of our guests shares their unique (or infamous) experience and how playing for Segovia when they were students impacts the way they see music today.
Support the show:
- Listen to Part 2 on Patreon, where Liona Boyd and Michael Chapdelaine debate what Segovia’s legacy will be in another hundred years.
- Make a one-time donation on PayPal
- Leave a review on Apple Podcasts (This helps other guitarists find the show and helps us. We really appreciate it!)
- Learn more about Lily Afshar at her website and read her “Letter from Tehran” here.
- Learn more about Liona Boyd at her website and read about the ups and downs of her journey with focal dystonia.
- Learn more about Michael Chapdelaine at his website and check out his “Steel-String Guitarist’s Introduction to Nylon-String Techniques and Repertoire” and video lesson on how to play the classical guitar standard “Romanza.”
- From the Classical Guitar magazine archive, a 17-part centenary celebration of Segovia.
The Acoustic Guitar Podcast theme music is composed by Adam Perlmutter and performed for this episode by Jeffrey Pepper Rodgers.
This episode is hosted by Nick Grizzle and Blair Jackson, produced by Tanya Gonzalez, and directed and edited by Joey Lusterman. Executive producers are Lyzy Lusterman and Stephanie Campos Dal Broi.
The Acoustic Guitar Podcast is produced by the team at Acoustic Guitar magazine, including:
- Publisher: Lyzy Lusterman
- Editor: Adam Perlmutter
- Managing Editor: Kevin Owens
- Senior Editor: Blair Jackson
- Creative Director: Joey Lusterman
- Digital Content Director: Stephanie Campos Dal Broi
- Digital Content Manager: Nick Grizzle
- Marketing Services Manager: Tanya Gonzalez
Special thanks to our listeners who support the show on Patreon.